Custom Search

Friday, March 5, 2010

anquan boldin

Anquan Boldin dealt to Ravens for draft picks

WR Anquan Boldin is now a bird of a different feather.

The Cardinals traded Boldin, a Pro Bowler who's been unhappy with his contract for nearly two years, and a fifth-round draft pick to the Baltimore Ravens for third- and fourth-round selections in the 2010 draft.

"I'm definitely excited," Boldin said in a statement. "For me, I've been hoping for this for a year since I first heard that the Ravens might be interested in me. I even talked with Ray (Lewis) about it a year ago.

"I really look at this as a great opportunity for me. They love football in Baltimore. I know that from when the Cardinals played there a few years ago. That place was loud, very impressive by the fans. The Ravens play a certain way. They play as hard and as physical as any team in the league, and I want to add to that. I think I play the way they play."

Boldin received a four-year contract extension upon completion of the deal, too, according to NFL Network.

"Anquan is a player who makes the tough catches, and he is outstanding getting yards after catches," Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome said in a statement. "He will also help the running game with his blocking skills. He's a very tough competitor, and with the way he plays with passion, he'll fit right in with the foundation we have for our team."

A three-time Pro Bowler, Boldin has surpassed 1,000 receiving yards five times and 100 receptions in a season twice in his seven-year career. He is the fastest player to reach 400 career receptions in NFL history (67 games).

"The Ravens just got better," head coach John Harbaugh said. "Anquan is a significant addition for us. He fits the personality of our team with the hardnosed, physical way he plays. We love the way he competes. Our fans will enjoy watching him compete, and his teammates will be excited to have him with us."

Boldin's arrival could mean free agent WR Derrick Mason, the Ravens' all-time leading receiver, may not be back.

"They have a great group of guys over there," Boldin said. "They can run the ball behind a very good line with three running backs as good as anyone's. The young quarterback, Joe Flacco, has already made his mark -- two playoff teams in two years. That's obviously pretty good. And, that defense … everyone knows what they bring to every game.

"I'm just happy to be going to a team that has a lot going for it. I believe I can help them, maybe get them to another level. I think I'll fit in with them. It's going to be a lot of fun being a Raven."

The Cardinals have options to run out opposite star WR Larry Fitzgerald. Steve Breaston was a 1,000-yard receiver in 2008, and Early Doucet caught 14 balls for 145 yards in two playoff games this postseason while playing in place of the injured Boldin. -- Nate Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment